Sunday 24 February 2013

Apprehension as 30-year-old petroleum engineer goes missing

Oluwatoyin (r) and the car he drove in on the fateful day


The relatives of Mr. Akanbi Oluwatoyin, a petroleum engineer with an oil company in Lekki, Lagos State, are anxious about his whereabouts.
 
The 30-year-old father of one, who lived at New Oko-Oba in Agege, was last seen on Monday morning.
 
It was learnt that on the fateful day, he left for work with his silver-coloured 2008 Highlander with registration number, Lagos SMK 975 AS, about 5.30am.
 
Oluwatoyin, who is 5.8 feet tall and fair in complexion, is a native of Oyo State.
His wife, Oluwatosin, a medical doctor with Lagos State Health Service Commission, expressed disbelief that her husband was missing.
 
Oluwatosin said, “I was on duty on Sunday and Monday. In the morning of Monday, I did not receive his call as he usually did at 6.30am. And because I was so busy at that time, I could not call him.
 
“But during my break time, I checked my cell phone to see if he had called without my knowledge. I did not see his ‘missed’ calls. Instead, I saw one of his colleagues’s missed calls. I called my husband’s line around 10am but his phone indicated it was switched off. I tried it several times, yet I got the same feedback. I had to call his colleague’s number.
 
“When I called him, he said he wanted to find out from me why my husband had not reported for work and that they had been calling his line and it was switched off. That was how I became apprehensive that something was amiss.
 
“Since that Monday, I have not been able to get my husband on the telephone and all efforts to know his whereabouts have proved abortive.”
 
She said on Tuesday, she and other members of the family reported the matter at Abattoir Police Station, New Okoba, where Akanbi was formally declared missing.
 
Oluwatosin said there was no quarrel between her and the missing husband, saying he was a peaceful man who neither drank nor womanised.
 
She said, “I believe he is alright wherever he is. Nigerians should help me find him. We have been looking for him. Anybody with useful information on his whereabouts should call 08064631642 or report to the nearest police station.”
 
Efforts to confirm the incident from the Lagos State Police Command were unsuccessful.
When our correspondent called the Public Relations Officer of the state Command, Ngozi Braide, she said she would get in touch with the station and call back.
 
As of press time, Braide did not call back.
 
She also did not respond to a text message (sms) sent to her phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment