Wednesday 13 February 2013

I’m In Love With A Confident, Independent And Supportive Nigerian Man’ - Eku Edewor

Photo - ‘I’m In Love With A Confident, Independent And Supportive Nigerian Man’ - Eku Edewor
Eku Edewor proved to be a lot more than you’d imagine. She spoke excitedly about the moments, both happy and sad, that have marked her three-year-stay in the Nigerian entertainment scene, and her plans for her career and her man.

Share with us some exciting memories while growing up in Nigeria.
I have always had a very vibrant imagination and because of the fun I had growing up, I like to describe my childhood as something out of the Famous Five.

 I lived next door to my cousins in Apapa and we got caught up in so many adventures. We built boats for the rainy season. We chased the nanny away because we thought she wasn’t nice enough. School was fun too, [with] the theatrical activities and a few other things. I remember performing at the National theatre once in a professional play, and the country’s first lady was present. That, and many more, make memories of my youth, and I cherish every bit of it.

Why do you think you were evicted from the Britain’s Next Top Model?
I did want to win, but reality TV competitions are not as straight forward as they seem, especially when that show was in Season 2, but it was good that I was evicted because I was in the University at that time and I didn’t ask for permission to be away. They assumed I was sick but when I came back, I had only three weeks to write my final exams. I had to cram, but I passed, which is why I am still grateful I was evicted the time I was. If I hadn’t, perhaps I may have spent an extra year.

You are an OAP, actor, model and producer. How do you manage to juggle it all together?
I don’t really juggle. I like to focus on one thing at a time, and that has been instrumental to my success. I am never two things at one time. I dedicated two years to being a TV presenter before I moved on to something else. I have always believed it’s not good to be a jack of all trades, but I support having many trades and being a master of each.

Which do you love the most?
I never knew I would love presenting as much as I do, but acting really fulfills something in me. If it (acting) paid all my bills, I may find myself being dragged away, but now, I still love presenting.

Why hasn’t Eku gotten married?
I love the idea of marriage and I want to settle down before I am 30. I promised my mum that, but I do not feel age matters so much. I want to have a family and have kids and be a proper wife, but I am not going to let it stop me from what I ought to achieve and I want to find someone that will let me achieve all I want to, and I’m glad I’m with someone and he believes in me a lot.

Tell us about him.

He does not like being talked about. I’ve chosen my career and it’s not his choice to be in the public eye. At some point he will have to, but not now.

Is he Nigerian?
Yes, he is.

Dark Skinned?
Caramel.

What attracted you to him?
His confidence, independent mind and the support he has for me and what I do. There are some people who cannot handle their partners being in the public eye. For some reason, they think they are going to stray, but that happens in offices too. It happens everywhere.

What’s your beauty regimen?
I have freckles so I stay out of the sun as much as I can. I wear sunscreen too, and I’m obsessed with keeping pimples away. I see a cosmetologist once anything unusual happens.

What is the big picture for Eku?
The big picture is that I want to be respected in this industry, so much that America will come knocking, and I want the same for African talents. I think our old stars have put a lot in place and it is time for our generation to take it further. I want a case where Africans play the roles of Africans and not African Americans. I want the same for Nigerians and Africans living abroad. I feel like music has done that, and it’s time for movies and drama to do same.

What are you up to at the moment?
I’m looking for film. If I can’t find one, I may have to produce one myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment